Saturday 31 July 2010

Necessities - mother of invention

My apologies for the late entry this month but like they say, its better late than never. I have been neck-deep in a lot of work which has pretty much kept me on my toes and somewhat away from my little pleasures.

You know how it is when you are looking for a job and you wish that anything comes your way, since you know you have got the capability to do it. But eventually when the job comes and the floods of challenges that comes with it is almost drowning you - you then start to wonder where those precious moments you have somewhat taken for granted have gone. So be careful what you wish for.

But I'm not complaining. As a matter of fact, my reflection is the main inspiration behind my recent discovery. Because my freelance copywriting job permits me to work from home, I tend to get most of it done right on my bed. This is an ideal creative environment for me, aside from the ease and comfort of just picking my laptop up beside my bed.

However, the downside to that is an acute back pain which I makes it very difficult to stand up straight sometimes. Besides that, I notice my laptop gets overheated due to blockage of its air vents caused by my duvey or sometimes my clothing - needless to say the strain and pain exerted on my lap in the process ( which makes me question the reason why it was named a laptop in the first place). My laptop has also taken a fall several times from the bed due to one wrong shift or movement.

The list of disadvantages is endless but you would think I would be put off from working on my bed by this. I think not! Instead, I sought for ways to make my working conditions better. I was having a conversation with a friend one day when he mentioned that he had just bought a breakfast-in-bed table to have his meals and then to read afterwards and it occured to me that I could do the same for my laptop. I also wondered why the idea never occured to me all this time! And believe me, it works! But when you are buying, buy a good one with firm legs to carry the weight of your laptop so it doesn't give way while working.

When I made my purchase on Amazon.co.uk, they suggested an orthopedic pillow (designed for back, shoulder and neck) which I bought together with my break-in-bed table and since both products arrived on my doorstep, life couldn't have been much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment